Thursday, April 13, 2006

This is not so good....

All of us have been sick in the last two months or so. I am the one who usually ends up getting really sick with some virus or other and ends up losing a week of work. This time though, in my family at least, my 8 yr. old granddaughter ended up with walking pneumonia, and my 25 yr. old daughter was sick on and off for 5 weeks. I on the other hand, missed one day of work. I credit my flu shot, because maybe this was a flu that I was protected from by my shot. No bronchitis, no days off of work, just one day I can handle.

There have been people at work getting sick all winter, and two weeks ago, my friend, Cheryl, came down with it. She missed 4 days of work, then started to feel better when her 3 yr. old daughter got sick. By Monday, the little girl was well again, but Cheryl was much sicker. I saw her on Tuesday at an insurance meeting, just for a minute, while she came in just to sign some papers and go back home. She said she had taken a cold medicine that didn't agree with the anxiety meds she takes. She looked so sick.

Today, her mother came in to work, and said Cheryl is in the hospital for at least 3 days. Most of us did not hear the story about just how sick she is. We don't know. Our GM told the supervisor running the floor to call a florist and order flowers to be sent to her. It can really sober up a workplace to find out that one of our best workers, who hardly ever misses work is really sick. We don't know what to do or say. I drove past her house on the way home, and no one was there. I want to call the hospital, but I already know they can tell me nothing. And none of us want to bother the family at a time like this. We work with her every day, but we don't see her outside of work.

It kind of stuns me how quick this happened. I take anxiety meds myself, and my doctor laid it out in no uncertain terms that if I have a bad cold or virus, I am to come see him for medicine. I am never to take anything but Tylenol without his permission. I never really realized how serious this is. Although I've read this again and again on medical and drug sites online, it didn't seem you would end up in the hospital from taking one wrong medicine.

I hope Cheryl will be all right. I'm hoping it's a matter of getting the meds out of her body. We want her to be well for her four children and the rest of her family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home