Friday, April 14, 2006

The story of the hats....

Back when it was still cold here, a couple of weeks ago, my 5 yr. old granddaughter started wearing this hat. She has a baby blue winter coat, the hat was dark red, beige, tan, brown and cream stripes. This did not have any color remotely close to any blue, and it was making me cringe everytime I picked up her sister and her from school, which is usually 3 days a week while my daughter is still in her classes. She wore that hat everywhere, it didn't matter to her, most of the time she wore it in the house too.

Finally I couldn't stand it anymore! I got out two blues and a white of Bernat Cottontots, and crocheted her a striped blue hat to go with her winter jacket. Then it warmed up here, in Wisconsin this means it is now above freezing instead of below. The 5 yr old, who I will call AR 2 loved the hat, and started wearing it instead of the red hat. To school, shopping and in the house, of course!

My daughter (E) said, "You know it's not that cold anymore, and her spring coat is pink." What? You couldn't have told me this before I started the blue one?

So, I got out two pinks and a white of Bernat Cottontots, and started over. Soon AR2 had two hats to wear, which in her strange little mind meant she sometimes wore matching hats, and sometimes the pink hat with the blue coat or vice versa.

Meanwhile, AR1, age 8, decided she needed a hat in blue, orange and white to match her spring coat. Blue, orange and white? Who sells that color of spring coat? The Children's Place outlet store does, appearently. And shoes to match. Not having an orange in anything except Cottonease, I took that out with two shades of blue and a white in Microspun. After looking said jacket, I chose the lighter blue with the white and orange. Ten or so rows later, AR1 showed up, and said, "That's not what I wanted! I wanted the dark blue to match the shoes! Didn't you see the shoes have a dark blue too?"

After frogging ten or so rows, I happily finished a hat that met AR1's specifications. Which she now wears with everything, no matter what color. I should have just crocheted it in white. Watching her walk down the sidewalk from her school to my car is an experience in color. The dark blue, orange and white hat, a pink and gray winter coat (because, of course it got cold again right after I finished the hats) black knee high boots and a purple backpack. I'm gritting my teeth from now on! I'm not saying a word anymore about colors of hats and coats. I know better now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home