Sunday, April 23, 2006

A little blue poncho....


I thought ponchos were out of fashion already. But not, it seems, with little girls. A friend stayed overnight last night with my granddaughter. In Ashley's closet, she found a loopy little sleeveless beach cover up that I had crocheted last summer. The friend wore that for the rest of the night, over another shirt and jeans, since it's not exactly bathing suit weather here yet.

Then she informed me that she really wanted one of those, except without the arm holes, so it went down over her arms, in loops like the cover up. I said she wanted a poncho, right? That was it, a loopy poncho in blue.

I was wondering if I could dig up some blue yarn, suitable for a poncho, when I found my stash of Simply Soft in my yarn closet. After seeing just how much Simply Soft is in a queen size comforter bag, with at least 8 skeins of Berry Blue in there, the closet will now be known as the yarn hoarding closet! I need to use some of this yarn!

So I found a fishnet poncho pattern, and started it, then frogged about twenty rows of it when the rate of increases in this pattern caused the poncho to resemble a loopy straight jacket. Now, you really want to use your arms when you're wearing a poncho (or anything else!) not have them strapped to your sides. So I did what I always do, I rewrote the pattern, with double the increases, and some addtional rows, like 10 or so more, so that it now will go past the elbows. A poncho that goes to the elbows is not a poncho; it's a capelet or a long collar.

So the pic is the new start of the loopy blue poncho, as far as I've gotten with it. It's taking me longer with the increases I added. As a straight jacket I could have had it done this afternoon. This will take a little longer, but when I'm done, it will actually be a poncho.

2 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Candy said...

Love that poncho! I'm sure the girl you're making it for will love it too. That is really a beautiful shade of blue.

I can relate to the yarn hoard! I need to find some good ideas to use mine up too!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I haven't pulled that bag of Simply Soft out in a long time. Had no idea there was so much in there! Thanks for the compliment. I think she'll like it. At least I wrote down what I did this time, so I can make another one when her sister wants one too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home