Sunday, May 07, 2006

My daughter's flowers....


My daughter has been bitten by the flower bug! After I told her there were dozens of perennials at our local Menard's store, she had to go there this morning. After a visit there and stops at Home Depot and Wal Mart, she came home with a car full of flowers, potting soil and a very big whiskey barrel planter.

She managed to get all but the whiskey barrel planted before she had to leave for work. That planter needs more dirt, which she will have to get on Tuesday. She has this picture in her mind of how she wants things to look. I had started digging up this flower garden last year already to plant some tulips and dafodils, which obligingly all popped up this spring and blossomed.

Erica bought a bird bath, filled the bottom with sand and planted that right in the middle, and now she's filling in the outside. It is pretty, but will be better later on. I've covered the whole area with grass clippings, so right now the plants kind of fade into the grass clippings. That will change. She bought some pretty things.
I'm hoping the little rabbit that lives in the garage, and has his/her exit hole very close to the flowers, will not decide that these pretty plants are lunch planted just for him!

There is so much yet that needs to be done. When spring showed up around here, it took off racing. As it is, we can barely keep up with the lawn mowing. I need to get that weed whacker out again too. Here's a pic of the whiskey barrel before it gets planted. Erica and Ashley picked out some beautiful flowers to go in it. No petunias, which I love. But I'll get those and put them in all the hanging planters I have.

We'd like more flowers, but that will come in time. The people who lived here before had none whatsoever. So we're starting from scratch, with a very odd shaped yard. It will be an ongoing project for us.

2 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger Candy said...

What beautiful flowers! The whiskey barrel planter will be so pretty when everything is planted inside of it! The birdbath area looks so pretty too. Sounds like you'll have a lovely yard when you're done with it!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

If the rabbit decides not to eat it!!! He is so cute, little ears about an inch long. I wish I could get a pic of him, but he's long gone before we open the patio door.

I think she picked up some nice flowers, the iris are supposed to be two shades of purple and should be gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home